The Chestnut Ridge School District is excited to have a PreK program. Our PreK classes are part of Former Governor Rendell’s early childhood initiative. Chestnut Ridge School District is one of the original programs deemed worthy of Rendell’s 73 million dollar Pre K Counts program. The classrooms opened their doors in October 2007. District PreK classrooms are located at Central Elementary.
The program will provide activities that foster meaningful interaction between teachers, parents, their children and others.
The program and the environment will be structured to develop individuality, creativity and thinking skills in each child based on the Early Learning Standards.
The program will provide the structure, environment and modeling necessary for preschool children to acquire age appropriate social skills.
The program will develop in each child the skills that encourage good health habits, personal responsibility and safety awareness.
The program will develop in each child the skills that encourage independence, self worth, confidence, and self control.
General Information about PreK
- Chestnut Ridge PreK has earned high quality ratings from the Office of Child Development and Early Learning. According to the state evaluation or Program Review Instrument, Chestnut Ridge has earned a **PERFECT/Exemplary** score for the past 6 years (2016-2022).
- Both teachers have teaching certificates in Early Childhood Education and Master's Degrees.
- Paraprofessionals have many years of experience working with young children.
- Our teacher/child ratio surpasses the 1:10 state mandated ratio with a 3rd paraprofessional floating throughout the PreK program.
- Pennsylvania Early Learning Standards are used when planning lessons.
- Free health, dental, vision, and hearing screenings are provided.
- A nurse is available every day to provide health services.
- Students must be 4 years of age on September 1, 2023.
- PreK sessions are all day for 5 days a week.
- PreK is in session for 180 days and follows the calendar of the Chestnut Ridge School District. Approximately 4 additional student days are added to the calendar and are announced in advance. These days will be virtual.
- You do not need to be a resident of the Chestnut Ridge School District for your child to attend PreK at Ridge. If a waitlist occurs, Ridge students take priority over non-district residents. (See enrollment policy for details.)
- All district PreK classrooms are at Central Elementary.
- GENEROUS income guidelines are used.
- Transportation is provided to and from school.
- Nutritious breakfasts and lunches are provided daily.
- Opportunities for parent involvement are provided and encouraged.